Student-Athlete Affairs (SAA)
The Division of Athletics and the Office of Student-Athlete Services are committed to assisting student-athletes reach their full potential academically, athletically and personally. We are proud to participate in the NCAA-sponsored program. This program provides educational experiences and services to our student-athletes in order to assist them in the development of well-balanced lifestyles.
The SAA program is focused on five areas viewed as critical to the personal growth of the University at Buffalo student-athlete:
- Commitment to Academic Excellence - To support the academic progress of the student-athlete toward intellectual development and graduation. Services provided within this component include tutoring, academic counseling and advising, learning assessments, orientation classes, structured study sessions, and other related services.
- Commitment to Athletic Excellence - To build philosophical foundations for the development of athletics programs that are broad based, equitable and dedicated to the well being of the student-athlete. Services provided within this component include leadership training, performance enhancement/mental toughness training, strength and conditioning, athletic training, and other related services.
- Commitment to Personal Development - To support the development of a well-balanced lifestyle for student-athletes, encouraging emotional well-being, personal growth and decision making skills. Services provided within this component include presentations, workshops and individual sessions on topics such as stress management, nutrition, drugs and alcohol, communication skills and other topics related to student-athlete well-being.
- Commitment to Career Development - To encourage the student-athlete to develop and pursue career and life goals. Services provided within this component include drop-in and scheduled sessions with UB Career Services, online and written career resources, resume and interview skills training, and other related services.
- Commitment to Community Service - To engage
the student-athlete in service to his/her campus and surrounding
communities. UB student-athletes participate in both on-campus and
WNY community based programs, including opportunities for peer
education, guest speaking at campus and community events, mentoring
local children, volunteering at local hospitals and charitable
organizations, and other related activities.