Official Visit Policy
The Division of Athletics believes in recruiting
student-athletes who demonstrate the highest standards of ethical
conduct, moral character and sportsmanship. Our student-athletes
are a vital component of the University Community and it is
expected that they demonstrate these standards when they are
representing the University at all times.
As such, all Division of Athletics activities associated with
the recruitment of prospective student-athletes must be done in
full compliance with the rules and regulations of the National
Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), Mid-American Conference
(MAC), and the University at Buffalo.
It is the responsibility of all Division of Athletics Staff
members and Student-Athletes to ensure that this standard is
maintained throughout the entire recruiting process.
The Following Policy Shall Govern all Official
Any official visit must be requested by a head coach or designee
and approved by the Office of Compliance, the following regulations
- General Rules:
- The University may only pay for one visit to the campus for a
prospect (Bylaw 126.96.36.199).
- Official visits are a maximum of 48 hours.
- The activities provided to a prospective student-athlete should
be equivalent to those which would normally be provided to a
prospective student on a regular campus visit.
- All official visits must be approved by the Office of
- No personalized recruiting aids may be used in public areas
(i.e. signs, banners, pictures or any other item that would
identify the individual prospect) to promote the visit of a
prospective student-athlete. Coaches may not hang jerseys in the
locker room with the prospect's name and/or high school number as a
display for the prospect.
- The Guidelines for Official Recruiting Visits will be
administered to the coaches, administrators, and student-athletes
by the Office of Compliance during required rules education
- The Guidelines for Official Recruiting Visits will be posted in
the student-athlete handbook and on the Athletics Intranet.
- Prospects and parents or legal guardians on official visits
shall be housed in standard lodging accommodations - no suites and
no upgrades permitted.
- Other amenities, such as mini bars, phones and movies must be
- Any extra cost for movies in the hotel
rooms must be included in the $30 entertainment money.
- No five star hotels. Coaches should use hotels comparable to
hotels used during team travel (Holiday Inn, Marriott, Sheraton,
Best Western, Budget, Travel Lodge, etc).
- Prospects on official visits may be provided coach class
flights with no upgrades.
- Prospects on official visits may receive transportation that is
comparable to transportation used for any student visiting the
- Specialized vehicles such as limos or rentals with special
features for transporting prospects around campus during an
official visit are prohibited.
- University vans and standard team travel buses are
- Meals should be consistent with the meals that are normally
provided to student-athletes. Official visit meals should be
comparable to meals provided to current student-athletes during
- Only one student host is permitted to eat meals off campus with
the prospect, his or her guests and coaching staff members during
the official visit.
- A maximum of $30.00 per day will be provided to the student
host to cover the entertainment expenses of the host, the prospect
and his or her parents or legal guardians. Siblings, friends,
coaches, etc. may not be entertained with host money.
- Entertainment money may not be used for souvenirs (i.e. UB
hats, T-shirts, etc.)
- No cash may be given to the visiting prospect or anyone
- All entertainment of the prospect must occur within a 30-mile
radius of the UB campus.
- The Division of Athletics prohibits the following during all
- Use of alcohol or drugs
- Use of alcohol, drugs, sex or gambling as a recruiting
- The use of strippers/gentlemen's clubs or an equivalent
- Any activity that violates criminal law
- Any excessive entertainment