WILLIAMSVILLE, NY - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won its sixth consecutive match on Sunday afternoon, defeating Binghamton, 6-1, at the Miller Tennis Center. The Bulls are 6-0 on the season, their best start since the 2006-07 season and the six-match winning streak is their longest since 2008-09.
Buffalo opened doubles play with identical 8-6 victories at first and third doubles to claim the point. At third doubles, Marta Stoyanova and Laura Fernandez finished first with the duo of Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas finishing right after at first doubles. Shah and Podlas are now 6-0 at first doubles in dual matches and 8-1 overall on the season.
The Bulls took the momentum of the doubles point and used it in singles play where it won five of the six singles matches. The first victory came at sixth singles as freshman Gopkia Kapoor won her first set 6-0 and was up 3-0 in the second set when her opponent retired due to injury. Senior Tamara Markovic finished next at fourth singles, winning her match, 6-3, 6-2, to put Buffalo up 3-0 in the contest. The Bearcats won their first point at third singles before clinching the match with a victory at fifth singles. Junior Anamaria Candanoza won 6-4, 6-2 before her fellow classmates finished out the match. At first singles Shah won easily, 6-1, 6-2 and then Podlas closed out the match with a 7-5, 6-3 victory at second singles.
"I think our confidence continues to grow each and every match and today was another victory against a quality team," said head coach Kristen Ortman. "We have played some very good teams lately and the fact that we have been able to come out on top is a testament to our team's hardwork and dedication."
The Bulls remain home next Sunday when they face NJIT at 1:00 pm.
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Agatha Ambrozy/Katherine Medianik (BU), 8-6
2. Shea Brodsky/Alexis Tashiro (BU) def. Tamara Markovic/Anamaria Candanoza (UB), 8-7 (4)
3. Marta Stoyanova/Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Missy Edelblum/Sara Kohtz (BU), 8-6
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Sara Kohtz (BU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Katherine Medianik (BU), 7-5, 6-3
3. Alexis Tashiro (BU) def. Laura Fernandez (UB), 6-1, 6-3
4. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Shea Brodsky (BU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Agatha Ambrozy (BU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Gopika Kapoor (UB) def. Missy Edelblum (BU), 6-0, 3-0 (ret.)
Order of Finish: 6,4,3,5,1,2