WILLIAMSVILLE, NY - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team improved to a perfect 3-0 on the season with a 6-1 victory over West Virginia on Sunday afternoon at the Miller Tennis Center. The victory was UB's second straight over a BCS conference school and its first ever win over a school from the Big 12.
Buffalo clinched the doubles point easily behind an 8-0 shutout from UB's third doubles team of Marta Stoyanova and Laura Fernandez. The Bulls also picked up a victory at first doubles from Miranda Podlas and Tanvi Shah, who won 8-3 and improved to 7-1 on the season. West Virgina won the contest at second doubles.
In singles play, UB won five of the six matches, capped off at number one singles where Shah defeated her opponent, 6-1, 6-0, in a match that lasted well under an hour. The Mountaineers won at fifth singles to pull within 2-1 in the match, but Buffalo answered back with a victory at sixth singles as Anamaria Candanoza won, 6-4, 6-4. Podlas clinched the match with a victory at second singles, winning the first set in a tiebreaker, 7-6 (4) and then easily winning the second set, 6-1.
The Bulls continued their success after clinching the match as Fernandez overcame a first set loss to win in a super tiebreaker, 3-6, 6-3, 10-7. Senior Tamara Markovic closed out the 6-1 win at fourth singles with a 6-4, 7-6 (5) victory.
"I thought our entire team played wonderful and really stepped up today," said head coach Kristen Ortman. "Mentally, i thought we were disciplined all afternoon and physically we were the stronger team out there. It is a long season, but I am excited with start we have gotten off to."
The Bulls have now begun the season 3-0 for the first time since the 2009-10 season.
Buffalo will now head to New England next weekend for a pair of matches beginning at Harvard on Saturday morning. These are UB's first road matches of the season.
Buffalo 6, West Virginia 1
1. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Hailey Barrett/Ikttesh Chahal (WVU), 8-3
2. Emily Mathis/Audrey Woodland (WVU) def. Tamara Markovic/Anamara Candanoza (UB), 8-5
3. Marta Stoyanova/Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Jade Allen/Vivian Tsui (WVU), 8-0
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
!. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Audrey Woodland (WVU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Hailey Barrett (WVU), 7-6 (4), 6-1
3. Laura Fernandez (UB) def. Ikttesh Chahal (WVU), 3-6, 6-3, 10-7
4. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Emily Mathis (WVU), 6-4, 7-6 (5)
5. Vivian Tsui (WVU) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB), 6-4, 6-1
6. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Jade Allen (WVU), 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,5,6,2,3,4