Bulls Fall Short In Marathon Contest Against Toledo
BUFFALO, NY – In a contest that lasted nearly four and a half hours, the University at Buffalo women's tennis team dropped a hard fought 4-3 contest against Toledo on Friday afternoon at the University Tennis Center. The loss drops the Bulls to 6-10 and 2-4 in the MAC.
The Rockets came in short handed as they had just five healthy players, but were still able to overcome that for the victory. The Bulls won the match at third doubles by default, but fell in both matches at first and second doubles. At first doubles, Marta Stoyanova and Miranda Podlas overcame a 7-4 deficit to tie things up, but dropped the final two games to give Toledo the point.
In singles, the Bulls got a victory at sixth singles as Anamaria Candanoza won by default. The Bulls then picked up a win at first singles as Tanvi Shah defeated Kelsey Anonsen, 6-3, 6-4. Toledo took contests at second and fifth singles to take a 3-2 lead in the match. UB tied things up at 3-3 as Tamara Markovic outlasted Lexy Pitt at third singles, 6-3, 5-7, 6-3, which set up the deciding match at fourth singles between Kira Golenko and Toledo's Chrissy Coffman. Coffman took the first set easily at 6-1, but Golenko then fought back to win the second set in a tiebreaker, 7-6 (1). Golenko got out to a 4-3 lead in the third set, but Coffman fought off numerous game points to tie things up at 4-4 and went on to win the final three games of the set.
"We know that every team in this league is good and that every match is going to be close," said head coach Kathy Twist. "We had some good wins today, but ultimately it just wasn't enough."
The Bulls are back in action tomorrow when they complete the home portion of their schedule against Eastern Michigan, which begins at 1:00 pm.
1. Kelsey Anonsen/Lexy Pitt (UT) def. Marta Stoyanova/Miranda Podlas (UB), 9-7
2. Pia Rygh/Amanda Border (UT) def. Tamara Markovic/Anamaria Candanoza (UB), 8-3
3. Tanvi Shah/Kira Golenko (UB) won by default
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def Kelsey Anonsen (UT), 6-3, 6-4
2. Pia Rygh (UT) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB), 6-2, 7-6 (4)
3. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Lexy Pitt (UT), 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
4. Chrissy Coffman (UT) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-1, 6-7 (1), 6-4
5. Amanda Border (UT) def. Miranda Podlas (UB), 6-1, 7-6 (5)
6. Anamara Candanoza (UB) won by default
Order of Finish: 6,1,2,5,3,4