Bulls Open MAC Play With 6-1 Victory
BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won its Mid-American Conference opener on Friday afternoon, defeating Ball State, 6-1. With the weather in the mid 60's UB was able to play outdoors at the University Tennis Center. The victory improves Buffalo's record to 5-6 on the year and 1-0 in the MAC.
The Bulls opened up play by sweeping through doubles led by Kira Golenko and Anamaria Candanoza, who won their contest at third doubles, 8-3. At second doubles, sophomores Tanvi Shah and Miranda Podlas won 8-4, while the top team of Marta Stoyanova and Tamara Markovic won 8-6.
UB was just as dominant in singles action as it took five of the six contests. Shah breezed through match at first singles as she defeated Courtney Wild, 6-1, 6-0. Stoyanova was the next to finish at second singles as she won, 6-3, 6-2. Markovic clinched the match for the Bulls shortly after that with a 6-3, 6-1 victory at third singles. Candanoza came up with the fifth point for Buffalo as she won 6-4, 6-2 at sixth singles.
Both fourth and fifth singles went three sets as the two teams split those matches. Podlas overcame a first set deficit at fifth singles as she came back to win the second set 6-4. Podlas then defeated her opponent, 10-5, in the super tiebreaker. Golenko also went to a super tiebreaker in her match at fourth singles after dropping the first set. She fought through a tiebreaker in the second set to send the match into the third where she ultimately fell, 10-7.
"We got a great effort today from everyone on the team and I am very pleased with our performance in our MAC opener," said head coach Kathy Twist. "Ball State is a very consistent team, but I thought we were more consistent under some tough conditions. We will enjoy this win tonight, but know that we have another very good opponent tomorrow."
The Bulls will host Miami (OH) at 1:00 pm. Due to tomorrow's forecast, the match is scheduled to be played indoors at the Miller Tennis Center. Please check Buffalobulls.com for any venue updates tomorrow.
Buffalo 6, Ball State 1
1. Marta Stoyanova/Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Courtney Wild/Kristel Sanders (BSU), 8-6
2. Miranda Podlas/Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Sarah Hebble/Ashlyn Rang (BSU), 8-4
3. Kira Golenko/Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Dena Boulieris/Lauren Pickrel (BSU), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Tanvi Shah (UB) def. Courtney Wild (BSU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Kristel Sanders (BSU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Kylee Johnson (BSU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Ashlyn Rang (BSU) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-4, 6-7 (5), 10-7
5. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Sarah Hebble (BSU), 4-6, 6-4, 10-5
6. Anamaria Candanoza (UB) def. Lauren Pickrel (BSU), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1,2,3,6,5,4