WILLIAMSVILLE, NY - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team was defeated by Cornell on Sunday afternoon, 7-0, at the Miller Tennis Center. The loss drops UB to 0-4 on the year.
In singles, Cornell had straight set victories at second, third, fourth and fifth singles to go up 5-0. At sixth singles, Candanoza won her first set of the spring, but ultimately fell in a third set super tiebreaker. After falling in the first set 6-3, Candanoza came back to take the second 6-4, before falling in the tiebreaker, 10-6. Also putting forth a solid effort was sophomore Tanvi Shah at first singles. She fell in a pair of tiebreakers, 7-4 and 7-5.
The Bulls are back in action Feb. 25 when they travel to the University of Pennsylvania.
1. Sarah O'Neil/Christine Ordway (Cornell) def. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB), 8-3
3. Sara Perelman/Rosemary Li (Cornell) def. Kira Golenko/Anamaria Candanoza (UB), 8-6
Order of finish: 2,3,1
1. Sarah O'Neil (Cornell) def. Tanvi Shah (UB), 7-6 (4), 7-6 (5)
2. Christine Ordway (Cornell) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB), 6-1, 6-2
3. Ryann Young (Cornell) def. Tamara Markovic (UB), 6-2, 6-1
4. Gabby Sullivan (Cornell) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-2, 6-3
5. Sara Perelman (Cornell) def. Miranda Podlas (UB), 6-2, 6-2
6. Rosemary Li (Cornell) def. Anamaria Candanoza (UB), 6-3, 4-6, 10-6
Order of finish: 2,4,5,3,6,1