WILLIAMSVILLE, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team got its spring season underway on Sunday afternoon, dropping a 7-0 contest to Syracuse at the Miller Tennis Center. The loss was UB's first dual meet of the year.
The Bulls lost the doubles point to open the match as they were unable to hold a lead at second doubles and also fell in contests at both first and third doubles.
In singles action, the Orange continued their strong play, picking up early wins at first, fourth and second singles to clinch the match. UB did get a first set victory at fifth singles where sophomore Miranda Podlas took the set from Aleah Marrow, 6-2. However, Marrow responded by winning the final two sets, 6-0 and 6-1.
"We wanted to schedule a team that would give us a battle and Syracuse definitely did that today," said head coach Kathy Twist. "I thought we did some things well, but we need to continue to improve as we move towards the MAC season."
The Bulls will be back in action next Friday when they head to Brown University.
Syracuse 7, Buffalo 0
1. Emily Harman/Komal Safdar (SU) def. Tanvi Shah/Miranda Podlas (UB), 8-1
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1. Emily Harman (SU) def. Tanvi Shah (UB), 6-1, 6-4
2. Komal Safdar (SU) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB), 6-3, 6-3
3. Maddie Kobelt (SU) def. Tamara Markovic (UB), 7-5, 6-4
4. Alessondra Parra (SU) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-1, 6-2
5. Aleah Marrow (SU) def. Miranda Podlas (UB), 2-6, 6-0, 6-1
6. Amanda Rodgers (SU) def. Anamaria Candanoza (UB), 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1,4,2,6,3,5