Season Comes To An End In MAC Quarterfinals
YPSILANTI, MI – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team saw their 2010-11 season come to an end on Friday afternoon as the Bulls fell to Akron, 4-0, in the quarterfinals of the Mid-American Conference Tournament. The loss snaps a streak of five straight years that the Bulls had made it to at least the semifinals. UB ends its season at 6-12.
The Zips, who were seeded second in the tournament, took the doubles point with wins at first and third doubles. UB held it close at first doubles as the team of Diana Popescu and Miranda Podlas, fell short at 8-5.
In singles play, Akron took the first set in all six matches and won contests at first, second and third singles to clinch the win. Podlas was tied at 3-3 in the second set in her match at sixth singles and Tamara Markovic had a 4-3 lead in the second set in her match at fifth singles when play was ended.
The loss brings an end to the careers of Popescu and Aleksandra Petrova. They were the final two players on the team from UB's 2008 MAC Championships season.
1. Zara Harutyunyan (UA) def. Diana Popescu (UB) 6-1, 6-2
2. Angelika Jogasuria (UA) def. Aleksandra Petrova (UB) 6-2, 6-0
3. Prang Pantusart (UA) def. Marta Stoyanova (UB) 6-3, 6-0
4. Angelina Jogasuria (UA) vs. Kira Golenko (UB) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
5. Anya Baronayte (UA) vs. Tamara Markovic (UB) 6-2, 2-3, unfinished
6. Natalia Kuvankina (UA) vs. Miranda Podlas (UB) 6-2, 3-3, unfinished
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Angelina Jogasuria (UA) def. Miranda Podlas/Diana Popescu (UB) 8-5
2. Angelika Jogasuria/Prang Pantusart (UA) vs. Kira Golenko/Aleksandra Petrova (UB) 7-3, unfinished
3. Anya Baronayte/Jeremie Benjamin (UA) def. Shelby Bates/Marta Stoyanova (UB) 8-4