Bulls Drop Road Contest At Toledo, 4-3
TOLEDO, OH – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team split its three singles matches on Friday afternoon, but dropped the doubles point, falling to Toledo, 4-3. The contest was UB's first Mid-American Conference road match.
In doubles, the Bulls were able to take the contest at first doubles as Diana Popescu and Miranda Podlas defeated Polina Guimaraes and Kelsey Anonsen, 8-4. In fact all three doubles contests finished by the same 8-4 score, but both the second and third doubles matches were in favor of Toledo as the Rockets claimed the early doubles point.
The Bulls and Rockets split the six singles matches on the afternoon as all six of them finished in straight sets. Toledo took matches and first and second singles and then clinched the match with a victory at fourth singles. UB was able to get a point at third singles as freshman Marta Stoyanova defeated Alexandra Cristello, 6-4, 6-1. At fifth singles, sophomore Tamara Markovic picked up a victory over Amanda Border, 6-3, 6-2 and then at sixth singles, freshman Miranda Podlas defeated Silvia Carvajal, 6-4, 6-2.
The Bulls remain on the road tomorrow as they face Eastern Michigan at 1:00 pm. The Eagles fell 7-0 to Akron this afternoon.
Toledo 4, Buffalo 3
1. Diana Popescu/Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Polina Guimaraes/Kelsey Anonsen (TOL), 8-4
3. Amanda Border/Silvia Carvajal (TOL) def. Marta Stoyanova/Shelby Bates (UB), 8-4
1. Polina Guimaraes (TOL) def. Diana Popescu (UB), 6-3, 6-2
2. Ashley Frey (TOL) def. Aleksandra Petrova (UB), 6-3, 7-5
3. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Alexandra Cristello (TOL), 6-4, 6-1
4. Kelsey Anonsen (TOL) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-2, 7-6
5. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Amanda Border (TOL), 6-3, 6-2
6. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Silvia Carvajal (TOL), 6-4, 6-2