ORLANDO, FL - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team ended it spring break trip with a 7-0 sweep of Long Island on Thursday afternoon. The Bulls swept all six singles matches.
In doubles play, UB got off to a quick start as they had already claimed the third doubles match due to medical forfeit. The Bulls then claimed the doubles point with a victory at first doubles as Diana Popescu and Miranda Podlas defeated Aleksandra Pavlovic and Taysha Blessington, 9-7.
In singles action, UB again got a free point as Shelby Bates won her match at sixth singles due to a medical forfeit. The Bulls won all five of their other singles matches, all in straight sets. Popescu played at first singles where she defeated Pavlovic, 6-4, 6-4. Senior Aleksandra Petrova played at second singles and had a very easy time with her opponent, defeating Linn Sjorgen, 6-1, 6-1. Marta Stoyanova defeated Blessington at third singles, 6-1, 6-3, while Kira Golenko won at fourth singles over Fatima Ouattara, 6-4, 6-3. Podlas wrapped up the victory at fifth singles as she defeated Dara Lahens, 6-0, 6-2.
The Bulls are back in action next weekend as they begin Mid-American Conference play at home. The Bulls host Bowling Green on Mar. 25 and Western Michigan on Mar. 26. Both matches start at 1:00 pm.
Buffalo 7, Long Island 0
1. Diana Popescu/Mirandra Podlas (UB) def. Aleksandra Pavlovic/Taysha Blessing ton (LIU), 9-7
2. Dara Lahens/Linn Sjorgen (LIU) def. Marta Stoyanova/Shelby Bates (UB), 8-5
3. Aleksandra Petrova/Kira Golenko (UB) won by medical forfeit
1. Diana Popescu (UB) def. Aleksandra Pavlovic (LIU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Aleksandra Petrova (UB) def. Linn Sjorgen (LIU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Marta Stoyanova (UB) def. Taysha Blessing ton (LIU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Kira Golenko (UB) def. Fatima Ouattara (LIU), 6-4, 6-3
5. Miranda Podlas (UB) def. Dara Lahens (LIU), 6-0, 6-2
6. Shelby Bates (UB) won by medical forfeit