PHILADELPHIA, PA - The University at Buffalo women's tennis team won three singles matches on Saturday evening, but fell just short at Temple, 4-3. Senior Diana Popescu and freshman Miranda Podlas each picked up a pair of victories.
The Bulls, who were playing shorthanded for their second straight game due to an illness which kept a couple members of the starting lineup home, took one match during doubles play. The first doubles team of Podlas and Popescu defeated Lucie Pazderova and Elyse Steiner, 8-2.
The Bulls did split the six singles matches, tying things up quickly as sophomore Shelby Bates picked up a win at fourth singles over Alicia Doms, 6-4, 6-2. The Owls regained a lead with a win at fifth singles, but the Bulls again tied the match up as Podlas picked up her win at sixth singles over Josephine Bergman, 7-5 (5), 6-1. The Owls again took a lead with a win at second singles before the Bulls tied it up at 3-3 with a win at first singles. Popescu defeated Theresa Stangl, 6-2, 3-6, 6-1. That set the stage for the match at third singles, which went into three sets after Tamara Markovic took the first set. After dropping the second set, she ultimately fell 6-3 in the third to end the match.
The Bulls will be off next weekend before returning home to face Binghamton on Sunday, March 6 at 1:00 pm.
Temple 4, Buffalo 3
1. Podlas/Popescu (B) def. Pazderova/Steiner - 8-2
2. Stangl/Clermont (T) def. Markovic/Nemec - 8-1
3. Mavrina/Doms (T) def. Bates/Petrova - 8-4
Finish Order: 2, 1, 3
1. Diana Popescu (B) def. Theresa Stangl (T) - 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
2. Elyse Steiner (T) def. Aleksandra Petrova (B) - 7-5, 6-4
3. Yana Mavrina (T) def. Tamara Markovic (B) - 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
4. Shelby Bates (B) def. Alicia Doms (T) - 6-4, 6-2
5. Lucie Pazderova (T) def. Dominica Nemec (B) - 6-4, 6-3
6. Miranda Podlas (B) def. Josephine Bergman (T) - 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
Finish Order: 4, 5, 6, 2, 1, 3