KALAMAZOO, MI – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team put forth a dominating effort in the Quarterfinals of the MAC Tournament, defeating fourth-seeded Toledo, 4-0, Friday Morning at the Sorensen Courts. The Bulls will face Miami tomorrow in the MAC Semifinals, the fifth straight year UB has made it to the semifinals.
The Bulls, who entered the tournament as the fifth seed, won a tough doubles point against the Rockets. UB's third doubles team picked up the first win as Diana Toia and Diana Popescu defeated Silvia Carvajal and Rahshell Washington, 8-4. The Rockets picked up an 8-5 victory at second doubles, but the Bulls were able to clinch the doubles point as UB's first team of Denise Harijanto and Aleksandra Petrova held off a pesky Martina Wodzinski and Maha Guirguis to win 8-6. The Bulls led 7-2 in the match before Toledo fought back to get it to 7-6.
UB and Miami will meet in the MAC Semifinals for the second time in three years tomorrow at 10:00 am. The RedHawks are the top seed in this year's Tournament. Miami defeated Buffalo 4-3 in the regular season.
#5 Buffalo 4, #4 Toledo 0
Apr 30, 2010 at Kalamazoo, Mich. (Sorensen Courts)
1. Martina Wodzinski (UT) vs. Denise Harijanto (UB) 4-6, 1-5, unfinished
2. Maha Guirguis (UT) vs. Aleksandra Petrova (UB) 7-5, 1-0, unfinished
3. Diana Popescu (UB) def. Ashley Frey (UT) 6-3, 6-2
4. Diana Toia (UB) def. Nadia Zoubareva (UT) 6-3, 6-3
5. Rahshell Washington (UT) vs. Kira Golenko (UB) 4-6, 0-3, unfinished
6. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Jessica Azoulay (UT) 6-0, 6-1
1. Denise Harijanto/Aleksandra Petrova (UB) def. Maha Guirguis/Martina Wodzinski (UT) 8-6
2. Ashley Frey/Nadia Zoubareva (UT) def. Tamara Markovic/Anna Subenkova (UB) 8-5
3. Diana Popescu/Diana Toia (UB) def. Silvia Carvajal/Rahshell Washington (UT) 8-4