Late Comeback Falls Short As Bulls Lose in MAC Semifinals
KALAMAZOO, MI – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team fought back from a rough start, but was unable to defeat the top-ranked Miami RedHawks, falling 4-1 in their MAC Semifinal match on Saturday morning. The Bulls finish the season with a 9-9 record.
The RedHawks got off to a quick start in doubles as they clinched the point following wins at first and third doubles. The loss for UB's third doubles team snapped a streak of eight straight victories. UB would tie things quickly in singles as freshman Tamara Markovic won her match at sixth singles over Sydnee Bridger, 6-2, 6-1. Markovic was the only UB player to win the first set as all other matches went Miami's way in the opening set.
It didn't stop the Bulls though as they picked up second set victories at first, second and third singles to force a third set. UB jumped out to early third set leads at both first and third singles, but neither of those matches were able to finish as the RedHawks claimed victories at second, fourth and fifth singles. Senior Denise Harijanto led Anastasia Dracheva, 1-6, 6-3, 4-0 when play was halted as she finishes her career with 81 singles victories. At third singles Diana Popescu led Megan Martzolf, 3-6, 6-4, 5-0 when her match also ended.
#1 Miami 4, #5 Buffalo 1
May 1, 2010 at Kalamazoo, Mich. (Sorensen Courts)
1. Denise Harijanto (UB) led Anastasia Dracheva (MIAMI) 1-6, 6-3, 4-0, unfinished
2. Stephanie Danesis (MIAMI) def. Aleksandra Petrova (UB) 6-4, 2-6, 6-0
3. Diana Popescu (UB) led Megan Martzolf (MIAMI) 3-6, 6-4, 5-0, unfinished
4. Riekie Honiball (MIAMI) def. Diana Toia (UB) 7-6 (9-7), 6-3
5. Cara Wald (MIAMI) def. Kira Golenko (UB) 6-4, 6-1
6. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Sydnee Bridger (MIAMI) 6-2, 6-1
1. Stephanie Danesis/Megan Martzolf (MIAMI) def. Denise Harijanto/Aleksandra Petrova (UB) 8-1
2. Riekie Honiball/Cara Wald (MIAMI) led Tamara Markovic/Anna Subenkova (UB) 7-1, unfinished
3. Sydnee Bridger/Anastasia Dracheva (MIAMI) def. Diana Popescu/Diana Toia (UB) 8-2