Womens Tennis Comes Up Short Against Miami, 4-3
BUFFALO, NY – In a battle of the last two MAC champions, the visiting Miami RedHawks came back as the University at Buffalo women's tennis team fell, 4-3, to the RedHawks at the Miller Tennis Center on Friday afternoon. The Bulls won the doubles point easily, but Miami took four of six in singles.
UB clinched the doubles point easily as Diana Toia and Diana Popescudefeated Anastasia Dracheva and Sydnee Bridger at third doubles, 8-4, and Denise Harijanto and Aleksandra Petrova defeated Stephanie Daniels and Megan Martzolf at first doubles, 8-5. Toia and Popescu overcame an early 3-0 deficit in their match, winning eight of the final nine games.
All six singles matches finished in straight sets with the Bulls claiming two. Freshman Tamara Markovic continued her outstanding play as she defeated Laura Grace Mezher at sixth singles, 6-0, 6-0. In five MAC matches, Markovic has lost just eight games, while winning 60. Wins for Miami at second and third singles tied things up at two, but the Bulls regained the lead with a win at fourth singles as Toia defeated Riekie Honiball, 6-3, 6-4. Miami would take victories at fifth singles and finally at first singles for the 4-3 win.
The Bulls will be home one final time tomorrow afternoon as they host Ball State. The match will be indoors at the Miller Tennis Center at 1:00 pm.
Miami 4, Buffalo 3
1. Denise Harijanto/Aleksandra Petrova (UB) def. Stephanie Daniels/Megan Martzolf (MU), 8-5
2. Riekie Honiball/Cara Wald (MU) def. Anna Subenkova/Tamara Markovic (UB), 8-5
3. Diana Popescu/Diana Toia (UB) def. Anastasia Dracheva/Sydnee Bridger (MU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Anastasia Dracheva (MU) def. Denise Harijanto (UB), 6-3, 7-5
2. Stephanie Daniels (MU) def. Aleksandra Petrova (UB), 6-4, 6-0
3. Megan Martzolf (MU) def. Diana Popescu (UB), 6-4, 6-2
4. Diana Toia (UB) def. Riekie Honiball (MU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Cara Wald (MU) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-2, 6-3
6. Tamara Markovic (UB) def. Laura Grace Mezher (MU), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6,3,2,4,5,1