Bulls Drop Marathon Match With Boston University, 5-2
SAN JUAN, PR – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team fought Boston University for over five hours, but in the end the Terriers, sixth in the region, were able to defeat UB, 5-2. The Bulls are now 4-3 on the season and 1-1 on their Spring Break trip.
Boston University jumped out to an early lead as it swept the three doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead. UB's number one team of Denise Harijanto and Aleksandra Petrova had a tight match with Stefanie Nunic and Vivien Laszloffy as they lost in a tiebreaker, 8-7 (2).
In singles action the two teams split the first four singles matches as the Terriers held on to a 3-2 lead. Petrova got the first victory of the day as she led 2-1 at third singles before her opponent defaulted. At second singles, Diana Popescu defeated Francine Whu, 6-2, 6-4. UB had a chance to win the match taking two contests to three sets, but fell just short in both of them. At first singles, Harijanto overcame a first set loss to win the second set 7-6 (5), before falling short in the third. Freshman Kira Golenko played at fourth singles where she won 6-2 in the second set after losing the first. She lost in a tiebreaker in the third, 6-7 (1).
The Bulls conclude their Spring Break trip on Thursday as they face Bryant at 11:30 am.
Boston University 5, Buffalo 2
1. Stefanie Nunic and Vivien Laszloffy (BU) def. Denise Harijanto and Aleksandra Petrova (UB), 8-7 (2)
2. Francine Whu and Monika Mical (BU) def. Tamara Markovic and Kira Golenko (UB), 8-3
3. Jessi Linero and Petra Santini (BU) def. Diana Popescu and Diana Toia (UB), 8-4
1. Stefanie Nunic (BU) def. Denise Harijanto (UB), 6-4, 6-7 (5), 6-3
2. Diana Popescu (UB) def. Francine Whu (BU), 6-2, 6-4
3. Aleksandra Petrova (UB) def. Vivien Laszloffy (BU), 2-1, def.
4. Petra Santini (BU) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (1)
5. Monika Mical (BU) def. Tamara Markovic (UB), 6-3, 6-0
6. Jessi Linero (BU) def. Anna Subenkova (UB), 7-6 (5), 6-2
E Inayar Khosla (BU) def. Diana Toia (UB), 6-7 (4), 6-2, 10-4