Bulls Move To 2-0 With Victory Over Cornell
BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team picked up a hard fought 5-2 win over Cornell on Saturday afternoon as the Bulls took the doubles point and then won four of the six singles matches. The win improves UB to 2-0 on the season.
In doubles, UB's first team of Denise Harijanto and Aleksandra Petrovadefeated Natalia Sanchez and Susan Sullivan, 8-4. The Bulls also picked up a victory at third doubles as Diana Popescu and Diana Toiadefeated Ruxandra Dumitrescu and Kristin Lim, 8-4.
In singles action, UB picked up wins at first through fourth singles for the 5-2 victory. Harijanto took Christina Ordway in straight sets at first singles, 6-1, 6-3, while Popescu also picked up a straight sets win at second singles over Lim, 6-2, 6-3. Petrova defeated Sarah O'Neil in three sets as she used 6-0 victories in both the first and third sets. Freshman Kira Golenko (Riga, Latvia/Riga State Gymnasium No. 1) was the last to finish, but she picked up a 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 win over Sanchez.
Tomorrow's match originally set for 1:00 pm against Duquesne has been cancelled and the Bulls will return to action on Feb. 20-21 when they travel downstate to face Columbia and Army.
Buffalo 5, Cornell 2
1. Denise Harijanto and Aleksandra Petrova (UB) def. Natalia Sanchez and Susan Sullivan (COR), 8-4
2. Christine Ordway and Sarah O'Neil (COR) def. Kira Golenko and Anna Subenkova (UB), 8-6
3. Diana Popescu and Diana Toia (UB) def. Ruxandra Dumitrescu and Kristin Lim (COR), 8-4
1. Denise Hairjanto (UB) def. Christina Ordway (COR), 6-1, 6-3
2. Diana Popescu (UB) def. Kristen Lim (COR), 6-2, 6-3
3. Aleksandra Petrova (UB) def. Sarah O'Neil (COR), 6-0, 4-6, 6-0
4. Kira Golenko (UB) def. Natalia Sanchez (COR), 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Susan Sullivan (COR) def. Tamara Markovic (UB), 6-0, 6-0
6. Ruxandra Dumitrescu (COR) def. Diana Toia (UB), 6-4, 7-6 (3)