Bulls Remain Perfect With 4-3 Win Over Army
WEST POINT, NY – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team moved to 3-0 on the season Friday afternoon as they defeated Army, 4-3. UB took the doubles point and then won three matches in singles play.
In doubles action, UB's top team of Denise Harijanto and Aleksandra Petrova took an 8-3 decision over Army's Annie Houghton and Kristin Beehler. The Bulls also won at third doubles where Diana Popescu andDiana Toia had an easy 8-1 victory over Michael Tollerton and Robie Verano.
In singles play the Bulls and Black Knights split the six matches with UB picking up wins at second, third and fifth singles. At second singles, Popescu defeated Erin Colton, 6-7 (4), 6-2, and was up 1-0 in the third when Colton retired. Petrova took her match at third singles over Beehler in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3 and with the Bulls up 3-2 in the match, freshman Tamara Markovic clinched victory for UB at fifth singles with a 7-6 (3), 6-3 win over Tollerton. The Bulls were competitive in all six matches, including a tough loss in the super tiebreaker for freshman Kira Golenko at fourth singles as she fell, 6-7 (4), 6-4, 13-11. Picking up wins in exhibition matches for the Bulls wereAnna Subenkova and Sonya Ivanyuk.
UB continues its downstate road trip tomorrow when they face Columbia University at 5:00 pm.
1. Denise Harijanto/Alexsandra Petrova (B) def. Annie
Houghton/Kristin Beehler (A), 8-3
2. Annie Hang/Erin Colton (A) def. Anna Subenkova/Kira Golenko (B), 8-5
3. Diana Popescu/Diana Toia (B) def. Michael Tollerton/Robie Verano (A), 8-1
1. Annie Houghton (A) def. Denise Harijanto (B), 6-4, 4-6, 5-2 ret.
2. Diana Popescu (B) def. Erin Colton (A), 6-7 (4), 6-2, 1-0 ret.
3. Aleksandra Petrova (B) def. Kristin Beehler (A), 6-2, 6-3
4. Jessica Ahn (A) def. Kira Golenko (B), 6-7 (4), 6-4, 13-11
5. Tamara Markovic (B) def. Michael Tollerton (A), 7-6 (3), 6-3
6. Annie Hang (A) def. Diana Toia (B), 6-4, 6-4