AKRON, OH – The University at Buffalo women's tennis team lost its Mid-American Conference opener on Saturday afternoon as they fell to nationally-ranked Akron, 6-1. The Bulls played tight against the undefeated Zips, but fell just short.
In doubles, the Zips took the second doubles match, but the Bulls quickly evened things up with a victory at third doubles. Diana Popescu and Diana Toia defeated Zara Harutyunyan and Jeremie Benjamin, 8-4. The Zips claimed the doubles point at first doubles with an 8-6 victory.
The Bulls return home this upcoming weekend for a pair of matches against MAC competition. UB will host Eastern Michigan on Friday at 1:00 pm.
#66 Akron 6, Buffalo 1
1. Angelika Jogasuria/Prang Pantusart (UA) def. Denise Harijanto/Aleksandra Petrova (UB), 8-6
2. Angelina Jogasuria/Anya Baronayte (UA) def. Tamara Markovic/Kira Golenko (UB), 8-2
3. Diana Popescu/Diana Toia (UB) def. Zara Harutyunyan/Jeremie Benjamin (UA), 8-4
1. Zara Harutyunyan (UA) def. Denise Harijanto, 6-2, 6-3
2. Angelina Jogasuria (UA) def. Diana Popesu, 3-6, 7-5, 10-5
3. Angelika Jogasuria (UA) def. Aleksandra Petrova (UB), 6-1, 4-6, 7-5
4. Prang Pantusart (UA) def. Kira Golenko (UB), 6-4, 6-2
5. Anya Baronayte (UA) def. Diana Toia (UB), 6-0, 6-2
6. Tamara Markovic (UB), Carolina Castro Cota (UA), 6-1, 6-0