Bulls Pull Out 4-3 Victory at Cleveland State
CLEVELAND, OH – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team picked up a 4-3 victory at Cleveland State on Saturday afternoon at the Chagrin Valley Athletic Club to snap a two-match losing streak.
The Bulls (3-2) picked up the win with three singles victories as sophomore Sebastian Ionescu scored the clincher in the number three contest. Ionescu needed three sets to down Ali Shabib, 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 and give the Bulls the match. Also earning singles wins were Damien David at number two and Pablo Alvarez at number four as both players won in straight sets.
UB clinched the opening doubles point with wins in the number one and three matches. David and Akhil Mehta downed Shabib and Niklas Johnson, 8-4, in the number one match. Sergio Arevalillo and Ashwin Sharma knocked off Matt Ford and Jorg van der Vloet, 8-6, in the number three match.
"We did a very good job of starting fast today in both doubles and singles, but didn't do a great job of finishing," said head coach Lee Nickell. "We are certainly pleased with beating Cleveland State for the first time and they are a very well coached and feisty team. We are excited to get back on court on Monday and continue to work on improving."
UB hosts Niagara on Friday, February 22 at the Miller Tennis Center in the home opener.
Buffalo 4, Cleveland State 3
1. Damien David/Akhil Mehta (UB) d Ali Shabib/Niklas Johnson (CSU), 8-4
2. Joe Vanmeter/Nolan Marks (CSU) d. Vusa Hove/Sebastian Ionescu (UB), 8-6
3. Sergio Arevalillo/Ashwin Sharma (UB) d. Matt Ford/Jorg van der Vloet (CSU), 8-6
1. Jorg van der Vloet (CSU) d. Vusa Hove (UB), 1-6, 6-0, 7-5
2. Damien David (UB) d. Matt Kuelker (CSU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Sebastian Ionescu (UB) d. Ali Shabib (CSU), 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
4. Pablo Alvarez (UB) d, Joe Vanmeter (CSU), 6-4, 6-1
5. Nolan Marks (CSU) d. Ashwin Sharma (UB), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Matt Ford (CSU) d. Akhil Mehta (UB), 7-6, 6-4