VERONA, NY – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team scored a 6-1 victory over Bryant University on Saturday afternoon at Turning Stone Casino to complete an opening weekend sweep as the Bulls, the 2012 Mid-American Conference regular season champions, start the spring season with a 2-0 record.
The Bulls won all six singles matches to claim the victory. Damien David recorded his fourth win of the spring season with three-set victory over Max Vogt in the number two singles match. The pair split tiebreakers in the opening two sets before David, the 2012 MAC Newcomer of the Year, rallied for a 6-1 win in the deciding set. David also teamed with Akhil Mehta at first doubles for an 8-6 win over Ernesto Arguello and Juan Gonzalez-Paz in UB's lone doubles triumph. David also won his singles and doubles matches on Friday over Colgate to complete the undefeated weekend.
The remaining UB singles wins all came in straight sets as Vusa Hove, Sebastian Ionescu, Pablo Alvarez, Ashwin Sharma and Jason Simon all picked up victories. With his win on Saturday, Hove moved past Fery Kasiman (1999-2003) for third place on UB's all-time singles win list with 65 and his 109 combined victories now ties him for sixth on the all-time list with Mike Proulx (1993-97).
"This weekend was a great test for us. We came out on Friday and played the most complete match I have ever been a part of for this program against Colgate," said UB head coach Lee Nickell. "Today we were out-coached, but our guys stepped up and overcame a very good Bryant squad who was firing on all cylinders. Our goal as a coaching staff now is to tighten up our doubles play and continue to stress fast starts in both singles and doubles as we prepare to play Penn."
The Bulls travel to Philadelphia on Sunday, February 3 to take on the Ivy League's Quakers at 2:00 pm.
Buffalo 6, Bryant 1
1. Damien David/Akhil Mehta (UB) d. Ernesto Arguello/Juan Gonzalez-Paz (BU), 8-6
2. Dana Parziale/Max Vogt (BU) d. Vusa Hove/Yevgeniy Jason Shkodnik (UB), 8-6
3. Zachary Morris/Joshua Rubinstein (BU) d. Pablo Alvarez/Jason Simon (UB), 8-6
1. Vusa Hove (UB) d. Zachary Morris (BU), 7-5, 6-0
2. Damien David (UB) d. Max Vogt (BU), 6-7 (5), 7-6 (2), 6-1
3. Sebastian Ionescu (UB) d. Dana Parziale (BU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Pablo Alvarez (UB) d. Ernesto Arguello (BU), 7-5, 6-2
5. Ashwin Sharma (UB) d. Juan Gonzalez-Paz (BU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Jason Simon (UB) d. Vidith Huot (UB), 7-6, 6-1