Men’s Tennis Stumbles at Princeton, 5-2
PRINCETON, NJ – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team completed its weekend road trip against Ivy League foes on Sunday afternoon with a 5-2 loss at Princeton. The Bulls stand 1-6 overall.
The Bulls scored a pair of singles wins on Sunday from the number two and three players. In the number two match, Vusa Hove knocked off Matt Spindler in a super-tiebreaker, 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 (10-3) at number two. Wojciech Starakiewicz downed Matt Siow, 6-1, 6-2, in the number three match.
"When I made the schedule I knew that we were facing teams at a level this program isn't used to," said UB head coach Lee Nickell. "We are certainly not happy to be 1-6 at this time but I will say that we are very good up top and know where we need to get better. Today's match showed that we are making improvements and if we continue on this same path we will be ready to compete in the MAC."
The Bulls next embark on their Spring Break trip to South Carolina. UB will face South Carolina State on March 10 and The Citadel on March 12. Both matches are slated to begin at 1:00 pm.
Princeton 5, Buffalo 2
1. (24) Matt Siow/Matt Spindler (P) def. Vusa Hove/Wojciech Starakiewicz (B), 8-2
2. Michael Lin/Yohei Shoji (P) def. Damien David/Travis Zappia (B), 8-5
3. Alex Kalinin/Yevgeniy Jason Shirodnik (B) def. Coleman Crutchfield/Ravi Yegya-Raman (P), 8-2
1. (59) Matija Pecotic (P) def. Damien David (B), 7-5, 6-1
2. Vusa Hove (B) def. Matt Spindler (P), 6-3, 6-7, 1-0, (10-3)
3. Wojciech Starakiewicz (B) def. Matt Siow (P), 6-1, 6-2
4. Ravi Yegya-Raman (P) def. Alex Kalinin (B), 6-2, 6-2
5. Yohei Shoji (P) def. Jason Simon (B), 6-1, 6-0
6. Coleman Crutchfield (P) def. Travis Zappia (B), 7-6, 7-5