Men's Tennis Drops Weekend Opener at Penn, 4-3
PHILADELPHIA, PA – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision at the University of Pennsylvania on Saturday afternoon to begin a two-match weekend road trip against Ivy League foe. The Bulls are now 1-5 as they head to Princeton on Sunday.
Like the Cleveland State match at home on February 19 in their last action, the Bulls scored their three points with singles wins in the top three contests. UB was swept in the bottom half of the singles, although the Bulls did juggle the lineup, and in the doubles contests.
Damien David scored a 7-5, 6-3 win over Ivan Turudic in the number one match. David is now 15-4 overall and 4-2 in dual meet play, all at first singles.
Vusa Hove defeated Nikola Kocovic, 6-4, 6-4, in the number two match. Hove, who moved up to the number two slot last week improved to 9-4 for the season.
Wojciech Starakiewicz needed tiebreakers in the second and third sets to record a victory over Rob Wong. After dropping the first set to Wong, 6-4, Starakiewicz rebounded with a 7-2 win in the second set tiebreaker and then closed out the match with a 10-7 win in the third-set super-tiebreaker. He evened his record for the season to 8-8 with the victory.
Head coach Lee Nickell commented following the match. "Another close match that we let some opportunity slip away. I am proud of our top guys who continually step up and we will figure out a way to get that extra point."
UB crosses the Delaware River into New Jersey to take on Princeton on Sunday morning. Match time is 11:00 am.
Penn 4, Buffalo 3
1. Ivan Turudic/Nikola Kocovic (Penn) def. Wojciech Starakiewicz/Vusa Hove (UB), 8-7 (5)
2. Mark Milbrandt/Rob Wong (Penn) def. Damien David/Travis Zappia (UB), 9-7
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Damien David (UB) def. Ivan Turudic (Penn), 7-5, 6-3
2. Vusa Hove (UB) def. Nikola Kocovic (Penn), 6-4, 6-4
3. Wojciech Starakiewicz (UB) def. Rob Wong (Penn), 4-6, 7-6(2), 10-7
4. Phil Law (Penn) def. Alex Kalinin (UB), 6-0, 6-1
5. Jeremy Court (Penn) def. Jason Simon (UB), 6-3, 6-3
6. Jason Lin (Penn) def. Yevgeniy Jason Shkodnik (UB), 6-4, 6-0
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 6, 5, 1, 3