UNIVERSITY PARK, PA – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision on Saturday afternoon at Penn State University. The Bulls are 1-3 overall this season.
The Bulls were unable to overcome a strong Nittany Lion lineup. Two singles matches went to three sets as freshman Damien David was bested by Jason Lee, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, in the number one match and Vusa Hove fell to Tomas Hanzlik in the number three match, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3.
"Right now we aren't quite ready to win matches like this," said UB head coach Lee Nickell. "Unfortunately it's coming down to mental toughness and we aren't capitalizing on leads. As with Brown we lost two doubles matches with break leads and that proved to be too tough to regroup from. We are going to find a way to mimic pressure in practice and be ready for Cleveland State."
The Bulls host Cleveland State on Sunday, February 19 at the Miller Tennis Center at 1:00 pm.
Penn State 7, Buffalo 0
1. Jason Lee/Russell Bader (PSU) def. Wojciech Starakiewicz/Vusa Hove (Buffalo), 8-4
2. C.J. Griffin/Taylor Cohen (PSU) def. Ivan Vereschchaga/George Tibil (Buffalo), 8-6
3. Bryan Welnetz/Chris Young (PSU) def. Damien David/Alex Kalinin (Buffalo), 8-7 (6)
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Jason Lee (PSU) def. Damien David (Buffalo), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. Russell Bader (PSU) def. Wojciech Starakiewicz (Buffalo), 6-2, 6-1
3. Tomas Hanzlik (PSU) def. Vusa Hove (Buffalo), 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
4. Taylor Cohen (PSU) def. Ivan Vereschchaga (Buffalo), 6-2, 6-3
5. Bryan Welnetz (PSU) def. George Tibil (Buffalo), 6-4, 6-2
6. Christopher Hasyn (PSU) def. Jason Simon (Buffalo), 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 6