Bulls Upended by College of Charleston, 6-1
CHARLESTON, SC – The University at Buffalo men's tennis team closed its three-match tour of South Carolina on Friday with a 6-1 loss to the College of Charleston at Patriots Park.
The Bulls (5-4) picked up a doubles win to begin play but were unable to secure the opening point. UB's tandem of Marcelo Mazzetto and Travis Zappia, playing in the number two slot, scored UB's lone victory with an 8-5 decision over Stephen Hardy and Tom Delme.
In singles action, Wojceich Starakiewicz scored a straight sets win in the number one match over Lukas Koncillia. Starakiewicz won the first set in a tiebreaker and then rolled to a 6-3 win in the second set.
Alex Kalinin went to three sets in his match against Mickael Boyer in the number five contest. Both players split 6-3 decisions in the opening two sets with Boyer taking the final set also by a 6-3 count.
The Bulls officially open Mid-American Conference play next weekend when they travel to Western Michigan and Toledo.
College of Charleston 6, Buffalo 1
2. Marcelo Mazzetto/Travis Zappia (UB) def. Stephen Hardy/Tom Delme (CofC), 8-5
3. Mickael Boyer/Mickael Trintignac (CofC) def. Vusa Hove/Alex Kalinin (UB), 8-6
1. Wojciech Starakiewicz (UB) def. Lukas Koncilia (CofC), 7-6 (1), 6-3
2. Mickael Trintignac (CofC) def. Vusa Hove (UB), 6-3, 7-6 (1)
3. Tom Delme (CofC) def. Marcelo Mazzetto (UB), 6-2, 6-4
4. Kyle Parker (CofC) def. Jason Simon (UB), 6-2, 6-1
5. Mickael Boyer (CofC) def. Alex Kalinin (UB), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
6. Stephen Hardy (CofC) def. Mitch Zenaty (UB), 6-4, 6-2