DURHAM, NC - USA Baseball announced its preseason Golden Spikes Award Watch List Thursday, recognizing the top amateur baseball player in the country. Sponsored by Major League Baseball, the Golden Spikes Award will be presented in 2012 for the 35th time. Junior catcher Tom Murphy was named as one of just 50 amateur players in the country to make the prestigious list.
Already a member of Baseball America's Preseason All American third team and multiple other preseason lists, Murphy is the Mid-American Conference's lone representative on the list.
The Golden Spikes Award trophy will be awarded live at MLB Network's studios for the second year in a row, with a presentation scheduled for Major League Baseball's All-Star Week, July 9-13 (specific date to be announced). Through USA Baseball's partnership with Major League Baseball Advanced Media (MLBAM), the presentation will also be simulcast with a live stream available from GoldenSpikesAward.com, MLB.com and USABaseball.com.
- Thursday, Feb. 16 -- 50-man preseason Watch List released, shaped by USA Baseball officials and advisors
- Tuesday, May 1 -- 60-man midseason Watch List released, shaped by USA Baseball officials and advisors
- Tuesday, May 29 -- 30 semifinalists announced, selected by USA Baseball officials; semifinalist voting begins; voters select three
- Friday, June 1 -- Deadline to vote for finalists, 5 p.m. ET
- Tuesday, June 5 -- Three finalists announced; finalist voting begins; voters to select one
- Friday, June 15 -- Deadline to vote for winner, 5 p.m. ET
- MLB All-Star Week (July 9-13), Date TBA -- Live Golden Spikes Award presentation from MLB Network studios.
About the award: Since 1978, USA Baseball has honored the top amateur baseball player in the country with the Golden Spikes Award. Following the first ever presentation of the Award to Bob Horner of Arizona State, the Golden Spikes Award has been presented each year to the player who exhibits exceptional athletic ability and exemplary sportsmanship. The 2011 Golden Spikes Award winner was Trevor Bauer of UCLA. Past winners of this prestigious award include current Major League Baseball players such as Stephen Strasburg ('09), Buster Posey ('08), David Price ('07), Tim Lincecum ('06), Alex Gordon ('05), Jered Weaver ('04) and Rickie Weeks ('03), and Mark Kotsay ('95). Former Major League stars that have captured the award include Pat Burrell ('98), Robin Ventura ('88), Jim Abbott ('87), Will Clark ('85), Dave Magadan ('83), Terry Francona ('80), Tim Wallach ('79), and Horner ('78). For more information, please visit GoldenSpikesAward.com.