CPR / AED Training
There will be no CPR Classes on Saturday May 25th & Monday May 27th due to Memorial Day. There will be a makeup Class offered on Wednesday May 22nd starting at 5:30pm. Classes will resume as normal on Tuesday May 28th.
The American Heart Association maintains a training center through a partnership with the University at Buffalo, Recreation & Intramural Services Department located at Clark Hall, South Campus. Offsite training is available. Training is available to the UB community and the general public. Group rates are available. Contact the CPR office at 829-6015 for details. Certification cards are given at the end of class.
The following American Heart Association Courses are offered:
**Please note, all incoming medical students, current exercise science and nursing majors need BLS certification (or Red Cross equivalent). Heartsaver does NOT meet this requirement**
HOW TO REGISTER
At the top of this screen click on the tab that is labeled CPR/AED. Select the option for the Registration Form. Upon completing the form make sure you have included your name, an active email, and the specific date that you would like to attend. A confirmation email will be sent to the email provided. This is the only process that will guarantee you a spot in the course. Under the above tab you will also find information regarding the cost of the course and directions to the building.
WALK IN POLICY
We will allow up to 5 people to walk into the course without having registered online. After the first 5, walk in participants will be accepted into the course based on classroom space. *IMPORTANT* Registering online is the only way to guarantee a spot in the course. If you don’t register online please be prepared to attend the course another day if there is not adequate space available.
Payments may be made at the beginning of class at the class site by check, cash, money order, or credit card. Payments may also be submitted 2 days prior to the class you are attending by mailing a check to 130 Alumni Arena Amherst, NY 14260 made payable to R&I Services. Finally you can make payments at both Alumni Arena room 130 and the front Desk at Clark Hall in person prior to your class during the hours the building is open. We do not accept online payments or take credit cards over the phone. The previous 3 methods are the only accepted ways to make payments.
Classes are held on Monday evenings at 6pm and Saturday mornings at 9am for Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider (BLS). Classes will be held on Tuesday nights at 6pm for Heartsaver CPR/AED. All make up class times will be posted on this website and listed at the top of this page.
Courses for THE HEALTHCARE PROVIDER SEEKING A CREDENTIAL
- BASIC LIFE SUPPORT (BLS) (Every Monday night and Saturday morning)
- For healthcare providers such as, but not limited to, day care providers, coaches, EMS personnel, physician assistants, doctors, dentists, pharmacists, physical therapists, respiratory therapists, nurses, lifeguards and students in exercise science, nursing, medical school or pharmacy school who must have a credential (card) documenting successful completion of a CPR course.
- The BLS Course covers core material such as adult and pediatric CPR (including two-rescuer scenarios and use of the bag mask), foreign body airway obstruction, and automated external defibrillation.
Courses for THE LAY PERSON SEEKING A CREDENTIAL
- HEARTSAVER FIRST AID AND CPR / AED (Every Tuesday night)
- For those who have a duty to respond to a cardiac emergency because of job responsibilities or regulatory requirements and for the general community interested in learning CPR.
- CPR for Adult or Infant/Children. Includes CPR and First Aid for Choking, Signs of Heart Attack and Stroke, use of Barrier Devices and use of AED; plus First Aid Skills.
- The Heartsaver First Aid with CPR and AED course teaches how to manage illness and injuries in the first few minutes until professional help arrives.
- Course content includes General Principles, Medical Emergencies, and Injury Emergencies, CPR & AED and an optional Environmental Emergencies.
- Students have an option to include infants when taking this
FIRST AID INFORMATION (Offered immediately following each certification class)
- Students enrolling in the Heartsaver or BLS course may add the First Aid component.
- First Aid classes are offered immediately following each of the three weekly classes.
- Individuals may sign-up for First Aid only.
- PEDIATRIC FIRST AID (Offered by Appointment only. Please call 829-6015 to make an appointment)
- For those who work in child care or for individuals who have a duty to respond to a First Aid emergency.
- Child care workers, camp counselors, foster care parents, teachers and coaches should all be trained in pediatric First Aid.
- Pediatric First Aid is available upon request and supplements the standard Heartsaver First Aid. Pediatric First Aid is more advanced than regular First Aid and will meet any job requirement.