Student-Athlete Tutoring Program
Tutor Responsibility and Role
Student athletes should be aware of what the Office of Athletics Academic and Student Development Services expects of our tutors. Being informed of the tutor’s role will assist the student athlete in forming a proper academic relationship with them.
Guidelines and eligibility requirements for tutors:
- Tutors must be students enrolled at the University at Buffalo.
- Tutors should have taken the exact or similar course to that which they will be tutoring. Tutors are also required to have received an A- or better in the class to be qualified to tutor it. Specifics and exceptions will be decided by the tutorial coordinator.
- Tutors are expected to arrive on time to all sessions. Tutors are asked to provide their student athletes with their contact information at the first meeting to make communication easier.
- Tutors will hold sessions in room 200 or 161 of Alumni Arena. Exceptions may be decided ONLY by the tutorial coordinator.
The role of the tutor:
- To have a clear understanding of the course content, assignments, and grading system. This is easily done by providing a tutor with the syllabus.
- To assist students in preparing for upcoming papers and exams, and clarify material presented in lectures, or readings.
- To monitor the student athlete’s academic progress with that specific class. The tutor may ask the student athlete to report grades to them, as to be able to adjust the academic plan for the student athlete.
- To assist the student athlete with time management, note taking, reading comprehension, or other academic skills necessary to be successful in the classroom.
- Tutors will not do the student athlete’s work for them; they may only work alongside the student athlete to assist with assignments or exam preparation. Tutors are not permitted to help with take home exams.
- Tutors should be able to communicate concepts in an effective manner that is helpful to the student athlete.
- Tutors should listen to the student athlete’s concerns about classes or assignments and work to help the student athlete find solutions. The tutor should also be supportive, and celebrate their student athlete’s successes.
If there are questions regarding your tutor, or if you would like further clarification of the roles and responsibilities of the tutor, please contact the tutor coordinator.